The Lottery

Saturday, September 19, 2009

I went to the gas station today and bought a lottery ticket.  It's called the Missouri Power Ball.  What an intense name.. POWER! BALL! 

Anyways, as I was driving there, I began thinking about what I would do with $100 million dollars.  That's a lot of money... A LOT of POWER BALL!

a) move to New York City and own/teach at my own dance studio
b) start that desert place business that I've always wanted
c) be an actor/model/musician (professional)


Either way, $100 million is a lot of goodness.

The best thing about the lottery is obviously winning it, but most of us about 99.9% of us, will NOT win the lottery.  That's a tough pill to swallow, but it must be swallowed because statistically it is near impossible to win the lottery.  But what human being lives their life in statistics?  Who honestly base all their actions in a given day on statistics? I for one, do not.  Life is a string of events leading you one place to another, and there are infinite variables to consider if you were to predict the true implications of 1 action, just 1, and imagine all the actions that are linked with that 1 actions.

Winning the lottery would be amazing, the dawn of a new era, a time of absolute freedom of choice, a time of carefree living.  This is not the first time I've bought a lottery ticket.  In the past, I've gotten some numbers to match up, not enough to win the big jackpot. 

I've been spending a lot of time and effort trying to find someone that I could spend the rest of my life with.  Through many people, I've learned to dream.  I've learned to dream of a beautiful house, a cute pup, a sunset that was unforgettable... with "our" names written across the sky.  In fact hoping for the best and wishing to have found the one every time feels strangely like buying a lottery ticket.  The hope of, WHAT IF I won, what would I do with the money?  Would I travel to Paris? Would I buy a house? I would, and write our names all over it, so that the world would know that we are the king and queen of lovers, and we would last forever in our kingdom we call Earth.

Third time's the charm!  Fourth time's the charm!  Fifth time's the charm ... how long would I play this lottery before I get sick and tired of losing?  Is it really about winning, or is it about dreaming of the jackpot?  Could I just save my money and buy something nice instead?  I talked about what I would do with the money with friends and we've had a good laugh, even talked about charity, where we'd donate ALL of the money, and be left at square one =)


The truth is, winning the lottery would be magic.  Sometimes you get something unforgettable and worth hanging on to for the rest of your life without winning a dam thing.  That is the most beautiful thing about the lottery.

I've tried many times, and have not won the lottery.  yet.  <3

1 comments:

Eric said...

what'supwhat'sup, what'supwhat'supwhat'sup